D L Davis Interiors

Thursday, May 23, 2019

IT'S LILAC SEASON!

The Lilacs are just starting to bloom in Minneapolis.  We have had cool, rainy weather.  Last night my husband picked me a sweet smelling Lilac and it brought back memories of the armloads that my mother used to bring in the house.  Then the house smelled so sweet!  I still remember her calling them Syringa.   She took Botany in school and was an avid gardener as was her mother.  I learned the proper names of  lots of flowers from her.

Now I suppose most school children couldn't identify a flower unless they had grandparents or parents who are gardeners.  However, I would guess they know the name of every Dora character or Xbox character.  Do they even teach anything about Horticulture in school anymore?

The sweet smelling Lilac.  




There are many colors named after it!

Image result for lilac color chip

Image result for lilac color chip
The Lilac bushes are outstanding!  They line our driveway.













Of course you know that would I love the white ones.  When my mother died two different groups of friends gave me gift certificates to the local nursery and I bought and planted two white Lilac bushes as a memorial to her.  They were outside our sun room windows so I could see them in full bloom.



I often speak of a woman whom I admire.  Her name is Carolyne Roehm and her gardens are extraordinary!
Here are some arrangements with her Lilacs that she has photographed over the years.














And here is Carolyne in lilac!


12 Facts about Lilacs from Town and Country Magazine:
1. Lilacs only flower for about three weeks in the spring.
2. ... but some varieties, like the Josee or the Boomerang, will bloom several times during the year.
3. Thomas Jefferson loved lilacs — and wrote about them in his gardening book.
4. Some varieties of lilac bushes can survive temperatures down to -60°F.
5. Want a big lilac bush? Prune them less often. (But make sure to trim them at least once a year!)
6. There are more than 1,000 varieties of lilac bushes and trees.
7. Lilacs belong to the olive family, Oleaceae.
8. The flowers are edible. (And great in cocktails, like this lilac pisco drink!)
9. In the language of flowers, purple lilacs are the symbol of first love.
10. The New Hampshire state flower is the lilac. Live Free or Dieindeed.
11. The tree lilac, Syringa reticulata, can grow to 25 feet tall.
12. Want to stop and smell the flowers? Purple lilacs are most fragrant on a sunny, warm day.




You may be wondering if you can eat Lilacs.  Yes, you can!  Here are a few links if you want to learn more:



And a recipe for Lilac infused honey:

For growing tips:


No comments:

Post a Comment